what do you all think about this frame...

what do you all think about this frame...

barifett
i was about to do another build, and i have my eye on the leader frame.  ive been getting mixed feelings about it. just wanted to know what you all thought.  thanks yall.. peace

--jared (black IRO with stickers all over it, and white deep-v's)

Re: what do you all think about this frame...

Jeff ES EF
Dude that sells them is a dotal touchebag. Bastard just gets under your skin with asshole comments on customer service and how he's mothafuckin' right. Anyway, I heard that they'd snap at the head tube fairly easy...but you know, just don't crash it!  Yeah, they look cool too! Remove those extra links off your chain and shove that rear wheel into the seat tube!

Re: what do you all think about this frame...

kidtwist-2
hahah yeah the leader guy is super creepy.
he used to try and promote his own shit on bikeforums and weird everyone out.

Re: what do you all think about this frame...

JellyMeetsJam
if it's good enough for mash it's good enough for me:

but seriously I think the 735's a cool frame just get the leader track fork to go with it and you're set
however if you're talking about the 720 I'd hold off

Re: what do you all think about this frame...

kidtwist-2
i think you should seriously consider what you're using the frame for.
Are you sure you want to run such a stiff frame for street use? (i'm assuming)
Are you sure you'd want to run aluminum at all?

Re: what do you all think about this frame...

No comment.

Re: what do you all think about this frame...

benitosan
BTW Emi (mash and sf bike messenger) got his Leader FREE from the company just because he wrote to them,
and told them that he was a bike messenger and part of mash and could give them FREE publicity.  of course,
you guys would have to pay for yours and i personally think that their quality is mediocre, oh well, now you know!

Re: what do you all think about this frame...

iornlung
jared. its emerick. i was looking for another frame and i found this one. they are nice. idk who the owner is but... they look nice.

nice leader

Re: what do you all think about this frame...

Thermite
I know people expressed their experiences with Leader Inc. here, and in no way I’m trying to persuade people one way or the other, but here is my personal experience…

I’m in the market for a track frame, unfortunately I have weight and financial limitations.  I’m 250lbs.+ @ 6 feet  so I learned to open conversations with frame builders with my stats.   Can’t afford Look, BMC or Calfee, and the rest chuckles at my request.   I realized that many frames look identical despite different labels  on the down tube, and that lead me to Leader Inc. which is an OEM manufacturer for quite a few names.     The material used  was satisfactory and so was the geometry.   As far as esthetics go, I’m not too crazy about LD 735TR 2009 but if it works it works.    The only negative  thing was very limited information on the Leader website which forced me to call them.   The owner was totally cool and down to earth.  Chatted with him for a long time about frame specs, Leader business model, and benign stuff like San Jose fixed gear scene.   Turns out that the latest version  of LD 735TR has been geometrically  revised for rigidity, and material thickness for overall strength.    This makes the frame a bit heavier but I welcome that in exchange of being able to handle my fat ass.   Personally I think it is a good deal for the money, and to be honest it’s probably way too advanced for my current level of performance.

The only advice I would like to give is:

Listen to all, consider all, but find out for yourself before making any decisions.

Re: what do you all think about this frame...

Monsignor Blair
I'd be curious as to what quality control Leader has, for the price of the frame.  There appears to be a large contact area on the head tube with a ton of welding.  Aluminum, being the super brittle material that it is, doesn't like that much welding without the proper annealing of the frame to get the crystalline structure proper.  At the price of the frame, there are short cuts being taken, and I'm willing to bet it's in the annealing, followed by the proper alignment, the quality of the tube set and what type of factory it's coming out of in China or India.  For the price, it's not coming out of Taiwan or Mexico.
http://www.myspace.com/sjroadrashandteasociety
"Americans are broad-minded people. They'll accept the fact that a person can be an alcoholic, a dope fiend, a wife beater, and even a newspaperman, but if a man doesn't drive, there is something wrong with him." ~Art Buchwald