sj to Santa cruz

dieslow
Does anybody know of a good route to take or if its even possible to do so on a fixed?

Re: sj to Santa cruz

AlvChen
Los Gatos Creek Trail to Old Santa Cruz Highway.  It's possible on fix....just be prepared for some climbing and some cyclocross at the end of the Los Gatos Creek Trail.

Re: sj to Santa cruz

dieslow
cool thanks man.

Re: sj to Santa cruz

AlvChen
I've never done this route, but it looks like you can take highway 9 all the way into santa cruz.

Re: sj to Santa cruz

Maurice

You can, I've done it a couple times but I wouldn't do it fixed. it's a good size hill so you could either super gear down and swap gears at the top before the descent or find another way there. and you would need brakes for sure.

I know you can go south and get to santa cruz and it's pretty flat but I don't know the route

Re: sj to Santa cruz

mark_xvx
taking hwy 9 will add plus or minus 20 miles and yes the hills will kill!  wear a break.. =/

Re: sj to Santa cruz

dieslow
Cool thanks. I dont about changing the gears on top of the hill. I guess ijust need to barrow a rodie for it.

Re: sj to Santa cruz

Maurice
yeah, a roadie is the way to go!
highway 9 is a decent hill, but it's not too hard. pace yourself and plan on 45-1hour from bottom to top and like an hour of descending, seriously it's almost all down hill into santa cruz

Let me know when you do this, I might join you up the hill and help if I can. or if you want to start practicing hills I'd love to help get you started

Re: sj to Santa cruz

AlvChen
Do I hear a potential hill climbing clinic????  I'd totally be down for that.  I'm the worst climber around.

Re: sj to Santa cruz

cwiss
I want to try this! Lets set a date. I'm open to any weekend this month.

Re: sj to Santa cruz

Maurice
I'm free saturday and sunday after the velodrome race which you guys should come out and watch!
and maybe random sundays after I have a criterium in the mornings

Re: sj to Santa cruz

thyna-mao
I'm in...set a date, in the mean time I have to get the bike over hauled. Is this ride anything like the Sierra Hill Climb? I got about halfway up and said F%&K it.

Re: sj to Santa cruz

AlvChen
IMO, it's easier than Sierra.  Highway 9 is longer than Sierra, but the grades are steadier and not as steep.  I forgot what the elevation gain is, but highway 9 is seven miles of climbing, but without much of a shoulder in parts.

Re: sj to Santa cruz

Maurice
HA! sierra can be brutal, though there are much worse out there... I can show you a few if you like.
it's not as bad as sierra, you can put it in your easy gear and spin up it for an hour. not like sierra where you actually have to stand up and really mash on your gears to make it up. you should try going to the top next time you climb it, even if it kills you, it'll be good for you!

Re: sj to Santa cruz

thyna-mao
I know I should have tried to get to the top but I was really looking forward to coming down...I topped out at 48mph down the straight away right where you stat to climb the hill.  < my face when I was coming down.

Re: sj to Santa cruz

dieslow
yo maurice are you down to go on a monday or a thursday? If so i need to search for a roadie soon, i'm gonna check myspace.

Re: sj to Santa cruz

Maurice
Thursdays are good! let me know when

Re: sj to Santa cruz

dieslow
 cool, as soon as i find a road bike i will hit you up on here.