Track pro fork

wes m.
Does anyone know if it is safe to have an 07 track pro fork drilled for a brake? It has the flat blank spot where the factory would normally drill the whole, they just didn't. I was told they did not drill most of the 07s for no particular reason. The main reason I am worried is that I have pretty much no experience with carbon.

I got the bike at performance for $750. It was on clearance for $860 but it had minor scratches from a crappy mechanic installing the front wheel and pedals so they dropped it to $750. It was double discount day for performance members so I became a member and they gave me $150 in store credit for buying the bike. They still have a 52cm one left at the performance on bascom and hamilton if anyone else was looking.
ride for fun

Re: Track pro fork

thyna-mao
Drill it, it's just like a regular road carbon fork just not drilled. You can order forks like that undrilled from the factory, it shouldn't make any difference in structure..

Re: Track pro fork

Maurice
damn, good deal dude.
I don't know about about drilling carbon forks, if you mess up it might might compromise the structural integrity of the fork causing it to crack in the future but I'm not positive.
also, the drilled fork on my road bike has an aluminum insert and my on my seat stays it looks like it was built with the holes and not drilled but that's just my bike.

Re: Track pro fork

JellyMeetsJam
Don't drill it. It's not worth it, just buy a carbon road fork.

Re: Track pro fork

thyna-mao
Yeah, I take it back, if it's full carbon then I'm not sure. Just buy one at performance for $79 strip the paint then clear coat it, that's what I did with mine.

Re: Track pro fork

Marc M
Hmm? Full carbon or alloy steerer?
I talked to a Fuji rep about drilling my older Track Pro fork which has a cro-mo steerer. He said it will be fine but it will void the warranty (obviously) if it was still under it. I'm proudly rocking this fork on my Pake w/ no problems.
If the steerer is at least aluminum, it will be fine.

Re: Track pro fork

wes m.
Its an aluminum steerer with carbon blades. Does this mean that the area where the hole would be drilled is aluminum or carbon? I'm under the impression that the aluminum only extends a small bit past the headset. The specs are: FC-770 Fuji straight blade Integrated carbon w/ 1 1/8" alloy steerer

I tried to pick up a cheapo carbon fork from performance today but they only had the 1 inch in stock. I might order one.

Here is a picture of the fork. It looks like it is designed to be drilled but I don't want to screw it up.

ride for fun

Re: Track pro fork

Jizzal
Hey wes   dont trip I'll trade you forks man  they are predrilled!  great deal

Re: Track pro fork

wes m.
As enticing as that is I think your fork would look silly on an integrated headset. Same goes for the performance fork I saw. Lets go for a ride, its my turn to buy the food. Orange sauce is calling me.

I'll trade you the fork on your fuji for the fork on "Rob Schneider is a bike". It will be like our bikes are blood brothers.
ride for fun

Re: Track pro fork

reckon
drilling through cured CF composites isn't all that tough, BUT you MUST use a "dubbed"* bit, or you chance cracking the CF. (TOTALLY dependent on the quality of the CF construction)

so if you don't know what a dubbed bit is, or how to dub a bit, you'll need to take it somewhere to get it drilled.

if it was me (and I work as a plastics fabricator), I'd just get one thats pre-drilled already.
(I think somebody up there^ has one for you)

(*or a drill bit specially designed for acrylic plastics)