powdercoat

olivejuce
anyone know of a good LOCAL place that powdercoats frame?  somewhere not too far out of san jose...if not IN san jose..

Re: powdercoat

chrstophr.el
you can drop off your frame at trailhead cyclery (in san jose) who then brings your frame up to east bay located maas bros. who are known for doing some very good work.
a friend has done it, i recommend doing it if you want a quality job.

Re: powdercoat

olivejuce
do you happen to know the ballpark of how much $$$ they charge?
gracias for the heads up!

Re: powdercoat

climbarock
Mass charges about $100 I think.

Or you can also get it done through Bicycle Express, I think they have a guy that does pretty good job. I saw a guy pick up his frame there and it looked pretty good.

If you are on a tight budget, BR&F spray in Santa Clara will do it for $75, frame only. But I can tell you their workmenship is not worth saving that $25-$30. I was not happy with the job they did for me.

Re: powdercoat

olivejuce
I dropped my frame by Trailhead and Lars quoted me $150 for a solid matte/satin powdercoat for frame + fork, plus an extra $25 for a gloss finish, in case anyone else was also wondering about prices; soo $175 total.  He said it would take about 2 weeks for Maas to bring it back.

Re: powdercoat

HELLA
i got my frame powder coated there, its no longer called mass tech coat, different owners (forgot the new name) but they do a decent job. i kinda liked the previous owners more...but maby cause it was cheaper before. Seems like prices for powder coating jobs went up everywhere though.
- Kenny

Re: powdercoat

olivejuce
Maas (or whatever they changed their name to) also upped my price quote an extra $200 to color-match.  $375-400 for the grand total, just to paint a track frame and fork?! No queso!

Re: powdercoat

thyna-mao
WhAAAA!!! you might as well get a new frame with the colors you want. Can you get it back with out anywork done? I can  refer you to the guy who powder coated my frame....only solid colors but it's nice enough for me. Ask the guys, they've seen my frame along with my brothers and my wife frame.

Re: powdercoat

HELLA
duuude, fuck that! try going to their place in hayward (right by union city) and chose a color that they have in stock or somethin.
- Kenny

Re: powdercoat

olivejuce
for sure. who did your bike? i wanted a bright candy lime but i guess that was too fancy for maas.

i might just have to get it done in orange county if i don't find a place up here.  it just sucks waiting so long, i'll be in sj for another month before i go back to socal (brocal).

Re: powdercoat

3lbCharlie
I know this place is far from SJ, but maybe you can print the page and get someone local come close to the price, looks like they do a good job. Thinking of sending my frame to them, but then I ship stuff out all the time so it is easy.  http://www.powdercoatstudio.com/

Re: powdercoat

powder coat guy
we have a $100.00 flat rate for powder coating frame and fork. The parts must be clean and stripped to the metal and free of grease in order to keep on on $100.00 rate. You could buy a quart of jasco at home depot and do it yourself (just make sure to use hands and eye protection) otherwise and extra charge of $50.00 for sand blasting will be added. the place is called A&E Metal Finishing in San Jose, Ask for Eddie or just visit the website for more info. www.aemetalfinishing.com.  I will recomend you to go to Cardinal industrial finishes on commercial street and pick up a copy of the brochure with all stock colors so you could take your time on choosing whatever color you want. if you take the parts fully stripped and cleaned, you could get them back from 3 to 5 days or less.

Re: powdercoat

Panther68
Well, they aren't in San Jose, and, truthfully, not even close, but from all I have read, this is where I plan to have my bike powder-coated:  Andrews Powder Coating, Inc.

http://www.powdercoater.com/home.html

Their prices are quite reasonable, and, again, from what I've read, their quality is top-notch.  Yes, it would mean shipping the frame, fork, and whatever else you want powder-coated down to Chatsworth (between Simi Valley & Burbank), but if you check out their site, you will find out why I have decided upon them.  I was at Trail Head Cyclery this evening, talking with one of the mechanics about getting my bike done, and when he told me they deal with a local, East Bay company, as soon as I got home, I started checking up on what company it could be.

As it turned out, it is Maas Brothers (under the new ownership), but after I read some reviews of their work, while they may be inexpensive (as opposed to a certain Santa Clara-based business which is just plain "cheap", as in, low-quality), I would rather pay a little extra to guaranty quality work.  If you read up on the stripping technique used my Andrews Powder Coating, you will learn to understand why the glass bead method used by many is NOT a good way to go.  I have an older Giant ATX 970 (full suspension), that I have decided will, in the long (and slow) run, become a "project bike", and one of the first steps of this is going to be having the bike powder-coated...by Andrews.