Wheelset

polyrider
I am building up an old Fuji frame to make a fixed gear.  I have pieced together everything from old bikes, and bought a few items...but don't have a wheelset still.  I have been reading other forums all over the internet and have got some pretty mixed reviews.  I am not super serious  about it, certainly wont be racing, and am unsure of the best wheelset solution.  I ride a lot, so will be putting almost daily use on my bike once its complete and will continue to upgrade as the years go by, so don't want to buy crap.

What are your guys recommendations for the best way to get a decent wheelset and be cost effective?  I have been looking at Weinmann DP-18's (white would look sick on my bike), and some Mavic wheels.  I am pretty new to the road bike stuff, have been mountain biking for years, so forgive me for my lack of knowledge.

Let me know your guys thoughts and point me in the right direction (website links, stores, etc.)  If you have another thread in another forum that answers this question already feel free to forward me.

Thanks for the help.

Dan

Re: Wheelset

Re: Wheelset

Thermite
Check this wheelset from Vuelta: http://www.vueltausa.com/products/track-wheelsets/pista.htm
I know where to get them for about $170.

also check out Miche Pistard WR.   They go for about $300.

Re: Wheelset

wes m.
For what its worth, dp-18s have the most durability per dollar of any rim I've ridden.
ride for fun

Re: Wheelset

Monsignor Blair
I would look at Mavic MA 2's, as these were a great cyclocross rim for years and years.   Should be able to pick up a rear with a sugino hub for about $80-$100.  It would be to your advantage to try to get them hand built, if at all possible, as most wheel builders will include minor adjustments/trues.
  I've had no experience with the Miche's so I will reserve an opinion, but Weinman's prove to be a soft material rim.  This is good for trueing, but once that rim becomes warped, it's done for.
  I believe the Vuelta's are made by the same factory as the Weinman's.
  Take a look at Formula hubs as well,  they use the same bearing diameter as Phil Wood and are easy to service.
  And I find it better to send a little more now on wheels, than have to replace cheap one's several times over.  That's just me though.
   And being fixed gear, you can take the time to do your own paint on the rims, if that's your kind of things.
http://www.myspace.com/sjroadrashandteasociety
"Americans are broad-minded people. They'll accept the fact that a person can be an alcoholic, a dope fiend, a wife beater, and even a newspaperman, but if a man doesn't drive, there is something wrong with him." ~Art Buchwald