SJ Tuesday Rides - Peninsula people heading south?

SJ Tuesday Rides - Peninsula people heading south?

comptechgsr
Hey all,

I met two Peninsula guys at Cluster F*ck in Redwood City over the weekend, and heard of a group heading down to SJ for their weekly rides.  Who's going tomorrow and mind if I join.  I can meet you guys at the Menlo train station.

As for the rides, they're just around downtown SJ + Santana row?

=)

Re: SJ Tuesday Rides - Peninsula people heading south?

cacks
Is this Tim?  I was in that race yesterday, think I finished last.  HAHA  Left after got my hot dog and beer.
Thank you for not smoking without me.

Re: SJ Tuesday Rides - Peninsula people heading south?

Twinky
No, this is Tim. Is that Wilson/Willis? (I finally registered on the forum just to clear my name :P)

I haven't been to a one of the FAMOUS Tues night rides, but after the race, I definitely wanna see what it's all about tmw. I've seen 2 other guys board at the san mateo station (Dennis & I THINK the tattooed guy with dual aerospokes) on caltrain #274. Just hit up one of the station on that train's line; shouldn't be hard to miss any fixed-gears on a train.

Re: SJ Tuesday Rides - Peninsula people heading south?

Denny
This is Dennis, I met you guys at the park.  I will be on the train from SM at either 5:43, 5:57, or 6:04 depending on what I can get on.

Re: SJ Tuesday Rides - Peninsula people heading south?

comptechgsr
nah this is dino - the only rider to not wear jeans to run (bike shorts ftmfw)/ black mercier, white front tire)

hahahahaha

and im pretty sure ryan (celeste road bike) and I were the last ones to finish.  LOL

Re: SJ Tuesday Rides - Peninsula people heading south?

benitosan
i go to SJ on Tuesday nights as well and i live in San Mateo too.

i'm the tall Asian guy with long hair who did the clusterf*ck alleycat on the sparkly trackbike.

my name is Bennett.  i usually get on Caltrain around 545pm from Palo Alto where i work.

Re: SJ Tuesday Rides - Peninsula people heading south?

comptechgsr
ahhh, i didn't know you were benitosan!

Didn't get to meet you there, but i was the dude in cycling gear that wave'd at you on seaport - about 15-20 min behind you! LOL.

holllaaa.

i'll probably hop on that train if not MP beforehand

I think you may not know everyone, but everyone knows who you are. Shouldn't we recognize the guy that practically runs the peninsula fixed scene?

Re: SJ Tuesday Rides - Peninsula people heading south?

benitosan
haha, i don't run anything.  i live/work on the Peninsula, but i mostly ride in SF and Oakland w/ friends.

Peninsula is $$$ and roadie/spandex country, so i stay low-pro (if that's possible for me), but i try to support
events like Clusterfuck and We Exist when they go down around here, i love the Peninsula, but the fixed scene is small.

Re: SJ Tuesday Rides - Peninsula people heading south?

benitosan
here's an interesting ride that a few of us did this Saturday, i was the only one fixed gear/brakeless...

Start: downtown San Mateo

rode the Bay Trail to and through the airport (against very very strong headwinds mind you)
climb up San Bruno Avenue to the top of Skyline Blvd (gradual climb turning steeper)
rode the Crystal Springs reservoir trail (rolling hills, some steep descents out of Millbrae)
connected with Canada Road and rode to Edgewood Road (rolling hills, very peaceful)
BOMBED Edgewood Road (very steep, very long, very fast descent, scary brakeless w/ small lane)
went back to Bay Trail and followed it back to San Mateo. (ate alot, then drank alot, whew!)

I've also climbed Hwy 84 from downtown RWC to top of Skyline 35/Old LaHonda Rd/Kings Mtn all singlespeed.
i don't like gears.  i have a roadbike, but i think i've only used like 3gears on it: up, down, and flat!  Mt Hamilton!

im definitely down to try those! let me know next time you roll - i'm down for a few segments, maybe not all (still building myself up hehehe).  edgewood from 280 down to canada is hella steep with NO runoff, well i guess you could turn, but waay fast.

Re: SJ Tuesday Rides - Peninsula people heading south?

benitosan
no, Edgewood Road from Canada DOWN to the Alameda de las Pulgas is WiCKED fast, not recommended fixed/brakeless.

actually every single road from Canada/Skyline down to the flats on the Peninsula is wicked fast and steep.

-John Daly Blvd
-Westborough Ave/Hickey Blvd (DO NOT ATTEMPT)
-Sneath Lane
-San Bruno Ave
-Millbrae Ave
-Hillcrest Ave (DO NOT EVER ATTEMPT THIS YOU WILL DIE)
-Trousdale Ave (DO NOT ATTEMPT)
-Black Mountain Road
-Crystal Springs Road
-Ralston Ave (DO NOT ATTEMPT)
-Hillsdale Blvd (DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS YOU WILL DIE)
-Edgewood Road
-Crestview Road/Brittan Ave (DO NOT ATTEMPT!)
-Farm Hill Road/Jefferson Ave (DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS YOU WILL DIE)
-Woodside Road
-Alpine Road
-Page Mill Road
-El Monte/Magdalena Rd.

of course, i am gonna try them all fixed/brakeless at some point, i'm crazy like that.

Sup Tim.  Hopefully I'll see you all tonight.
Thank you for not smoking without me.

Re: SJ Tuesday Rides - Peninsula people heading south?

bikeshpfixie
Hey i am new to sj fixed and i was wondering where the tuesday rides meet.. I live and work in palo alto so maybe i could meet you (benitosan) at the caltrain station at some point and you could show me? I dont know, but if the meeting place is easy to find then maybe i could go alone

Re: SJ Tuesday Rides - Peninsula people heading south?

benitosan
the Tuesday night rides meet at SJstate by the fountain at 7pm(ish) and leave by 730pm(ish).

i usually catch the Caltrain express out of PA around 512pm or 549pm or 612pm, then grab a bite
to eat in downtown SJ with my friends Dennis & Shane before we meet up with folks for the ride.

yes, i can meet you at the PA Caltrain station, let me know what time you can catch the express.

you can call/text/email me: Bennett (Benitosan) at 650.868.8135 and let me know if ur coming this Tuesday