Noob needs help

trustmeimalawyer
Hey all,
Just found your forum and have gotten some good info. already.  I am in the market for a fixie and wanted some reccomendations.  First, I would need to know what size would be comfortable for me.  I am about 5'5" and 135 lbs. so im guessing a 50" or something in that area?  Ive narrowed my choices down to two possible scenarios.  First is the Mercier Kilo TT.  Pros: it comes as a kit and for a relatively good price.  Cons: its comes as a kit and although I can swap out parts, it seems like a waste of money to get something Im not truly happy with.  The other option is to put together a bike with the Leader 720R Aluminum frame.  I know these are two vastly different bikes but I really like the look of the aluminum frame and I consider myself pretty handy so I think I would be able to handle putting the bike together.  I know the ride is different but how much different is it?  Too uncomfortable to ride on the road?  I would really appreciate any help/suggestions you all might have for a noob.
Thanks

Re: Noob needs help

Welcome to the forum. Honestly if you are just starting off i would just buy a kit bike. You will be able to learn on it and not feel too bad about throwing it around or dropping it. Get the Kilo, learn on it and get comfortable riding fixed, then build your dream bike. You will be able to appreciate your dream bike a lot more because you'll be able to ride it like it should be ridden, rather than building a semi-nice bike now and being scared to learn anything on it.

The leader will do fine on the streets just as much as the Kilo. I would not buy a Leader frame through.

I would say go for the Kilo. Its a good bike.

Re: Noob needs help

trustmeimalawyer
Thanks for the reply, Mark.  Yeah, I thought about that too.  I just figured I could probably put together a bike with that Leader frame for slightly more than the Kilo, so why not go for something I like a bit better?  I rode a fixie when I was younger but how long does it typically take for someone to learn?  Also, any suggestions on frame size?  I know thats a tough question but any guesstimates based on my height and weight?

Re: Noob needs help

thyna-mao
Hello,

      You'll do fine with a 50cm or 51cm maybe even a 52cm, it all depends on the inseam length. The Leader might not be a better choice if you plan on riding it mainly on the road. The Kilo would be a better choice IMO to get started with but to each his own. The leader would be good on the track if you ever decide to take it out there. It doesn't take long to get use to the constant pedaling because you really only have two choices, to either keep pedaling or be thrown off your bike if you forget that you can't coast. It took me about a week or two get use to it and about a few months to get use to riding brakeless. Never the less jut keep at it and you'll get it down. Come out and ride with us when you complete your build.

Re: Noob needs help

trustmeimalawyer
Great advice.  Ive been doing some reading and I think the Mercier is the way to go, unless someone can suggest something comparable in the price range.  Also, I heard that they are coming out with a purple on in August?  Anyone have any info. on this?

Re: Noob needs help

mark_xvx
I think you can pre-order a purple frame, but yes they do come out later this fall I believe.  Mann... purple is in!  I better switch out ASAP!

Re: Noob needs help

HELLA
The Mercier seems like the best bang for your buck, if that bike was around when i first bought a bike i would have chose that one.
- Kenny

Re: Noob needs help

trustmeimalawyer
Any ideas on where to purchase one, outside of bikesdirect?  I would like to support an LBS but from what I hear, I probably wont find a better deal.  Any suggestions?  Anyone have pics of the purple one?

Re: Noob needs help

the_kal
I think a 53 CM is fine too. I'm 5'11 and I ride a 56 CM motobecane messenger. I think the kilo will be a better choice starting out. The steel frame feels so much better on the street than an aluminum frame.
When I'm riding my bicycle I feel like a Buddhist who is happy just to enjoy his mundane existence. ~ Robin Williams

Re: Noob needs help

Bikesdirect is the only place to get them at that price.

Re: Noob needs help

cwiss
Another option is this frameset:
http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=1084
It's pretty much a KHS flite.
If you want to build a bike from scratch this is the way to go.
You'll end up spending more up front, but you'll atleast have some decent parts hopefully.