IRO group buy or KILO tt

ihurduliekme
This post was updated on .
should i get a brand new kilo tt frameset 50 cm from bikeisland for 200 flat
or
buy a used IRO group buy BFSSFG frameset 53 cm from a friend, for 175 flat + gas to get to sac

need answer QUICK!

i figured this much:
iro has better fork and tubing
kilo has better geometry and its lugged i think
dont EXACTLY know which one will fit me better but they both should be fine from what i understand
iro has nasty flat black paint but i dont really mind, both have no decals

and....well i am guilty of wanting to try out barspins...i understand i need 650c wheel for either frame?
but i guess its not THAT important to me but it is something to consider

Re: question on frameset....

ThaValleyFixedGear
get the IRO......the KILO is kinda heavy
=Sokha M.

Re: question on frameset....

Jeff ES EF
Do the IRO! Fuck up the paint and then after a year or so, get it powdercoated for about $50. Dooooo it.

Re: question on frameset....

ihurduliekme
i know sounds good but
i dont know weimond was telling me to go for the kilo tt

any more people wanna chime in?
im still pretty undecided

Re: IRO group buy or KILO tt

AlvChen
50cm vs. 53cm is a pretty big difference and you'll most likely fit one and not the other.  To me, it seems like the small difference in price shouldn't take precedence over fit and comfort.  How tall are you?  Even though overall height isn't always the best judge for fit, it gives us an idea.

Re: IRO group buy or KILO tt

ihurduliekme
well if you look at the measurements of iro 53cm:
http://www.irofixedgear.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=6
and of kilo tt 50cm
http://www.cyclesmercier.com/geometry_tt.html
they are pretty close...the top tube lengths are only 5 mm different, and i hear thats the most important measurement
standover in the kilo is 29.84" and the iro is 30"
i dont know if that is that much of a difference but i could be wrong
from what i understand iro's are sized a little weird
anyway im about 5'6"

Re: question on frameset....

dieslow
i will go for the bike that fits you the best. do you know what size you need to get???

Re: IRO group buy or KILO tt

mark_xvx
Go for the IRO if you want to do barspins.  But like everyone else has said, go for the size and comfort.  I still have that 650 if you're still interested.  Hurry up and come do barspin wheelies with me!

Re: question on frameset....

ihurduliekme
from what i understand they should both fit me....
god im confused now though
i want to get out and ride again

Re: question on frameset....

Jeff ES EF
Ride my bike, fucker.

Re: question on frameset....

ihurduliekme
confirmed that the kilo 50cm fits me fine
doesnt look like it will be able to barspin with a 650c wheel, anyone want to confirm or prove me wrong?

Re: question on frameset....

benitosan
omg, forgive me for reading your post then ranting, but you originally sounded so dire and wanting
quick answers to get a frame.  be more concerned that it fits you first and foremost, you get a
track bike to ride it/race it, if you are more concerned about barspins, get a bmx & stop the drama.

just buy something/anything if you are serious about riding and worry about the miscellaneous later.

again, i apologize for the minor rant, but this thread is kinda ludicrous and tangential.  btw 650 will
barspin if you get a riser stem and add spacers, but gosh, this should be a later concern, not a first one.

Re: question on frameset....

ihurduliekme
wait what...
i never said barspins was that important i just thought itd be cool as an extra
its not going to be deciding factor at all it just seems like your taking me as a person who only cares about barspins
i was asking more about the quality of the two frames and for the price factor
like i said both seem to fit me fine i just rode the 50cm kilo, and the measurements on the 53cm iro are pretty much the same
im not really that dire on getting a frame as quick as possible im just tired of my conversion, but kilo tt framesets do sell out quick however...

Re: question on frameset....

benitosan
get the Mercier, sounds like it fits you better, i like the green colored one, black is great too.  get one and start riding a real track bike vs conversion, you'll like it much better.  as for building it, focus first on the wheelset, not so much the brand or color, but just make sure its strong and true.  then focus on the drivetrain, get a good one that doesn't flex or bend under the torque of brakeless skidding/skipping.
but get a frameset if the opportunity is ripe, the weather is quickly improving, you'll want to have a
proper bike acquired/built for the summer riding/tricks season.  barspin ur new bike at skiddy hall foo!

Re: question on frameset....

ihurduliekme
alrightttt thanks for the info!

Re: question on frameset....

Like everyone else said, get the frame that fits you better. You'll be happier later on that you did. Barspins will come. Most frames with track geometry will be able to barspin with a 650c. I like bawwwspinnsss!

Re: question on frameset....

ihurduliekme
thanks to everyone who replied
i decided to go with the kilo tt since it fit me perfect and even though the iro had almost the same geometry i didnt want to take any chances or go to sac just to find that it wouldnt fit

finally have a fucking track bike, after waiting 4 months
thanks again to everyone who gave their insight

Re: question on frameset....

Jeff ES EF
Enough delay, now build up your bike and ride the fucking thing! We would be Kilo buddies. Or TT buddies. lol, titty buddies. But yeah! Build that bike up! What color are you getting btw?

Re: question on frameset....

ihurduliekme
yeah now its just a question of waiting for it
black, i know your ass would kill me if i got green

Re: question on frameset....

Jeff ES EF
Well, with $50 powdercoating.... hmmmmm. LOL I'll just paint it some other color and yeah it'd be sweeeeeeeeeet! But yeah, go ahead and get a green one if you want. Just electrical tape the whole frame and almost instantly, you'll have a black kilo. Why not? hahahaha But how long would it take?
12